Join our team
GOPA's development cooperation specialists implement numerous projects worldwide and we continually compete for new ones. This offers opportunities in a multitude of technical fields. Interested in one of the current job opportunities accessible from this page? Or do you like to apply for registration on our expert data base? Please contact us!
For more information on job opportunities click here.
Key Expert 1: Senior Advisor - PDNA (full time – maximum 660 days), Worldwide
Key Expert 1: Senior Advisor - PDNA (full time – maximum 660 days)
Rural Development and Environment
Friday, May 19, 2017
Name of project:
Provision of expertise and tools to support Recovery and Peace Building assessment and Post-Disaster Needs Assessment (EU)
The overall objective of the project is to support third countries to build up their capacity to carry out Recovery and Peacebuilding Assessments (RPBAs) and Post-Disaster Needs Assessments (PDNAs), through
- deployment of experts in RPBA/PDNA missions, and
- provision of training and capacity building to national authorities and regional/international organizations by organizing tripartite training events (WB, UN, EU),
- development of final reports/recovery frameworks.
The purposes of this contract are as follows:
- To assist, together with the UN and the WB, countries affected by crisis with identifying, developing and implementing recovery activities through RPBA/PDNA processes. This will often consist of supporting joint PDNA/RPBA missions incountry/in region (in coordination with EU Heads of Delegations and with the European External Action Service - EEAS and the European Commission). While such support could cover any relevant technical field (longer-term and shorter-term expertise), it is foreseen that a particular emphasis is put on expertise
- in mission planning and development of final reports/recovery frameworks;
- to support further development of the joint PDNA/RPBA methodologies, tools, training programmes;
- to promote the values and principles of EU as external actor;
- to ensure inclusiveness of RPBA/PDNA processes.
Activity 1: Capacity-building
Activity 2: Support to RPBA/PDNA Missions
Activity 3: RPBA/PDNA Reporting
Activity 4: Support coordination between EU services and within the tri-partite group
Activity 5: Update/revision and/or further development of joint methodologies and tools
Activity 6: Sector analysis/support to long-term technical assistance
For the implementation of this TC project we are searching a Senior Advisor specialized in PDNA.
Team structure: The TA-team consists of two key experts to address the capacity-building, mission and content development aspects of the project. Key expert 1 will have a technical focus on PDNA, Key expert 2 shall be a specialist in Recovery and Peacebuilding Assessments (RPBAs). One of these two Key experts will be the assigned team leader. Further on activities are to be carried out by a pool of sector experts for ad-hoc missions in conflict analysis, gender mainstreaming, governance, education, livelihood and health.
Main cooperation partner: EU Heads of Delegations of third countries, UN, WB, EEAS
Target groups: This project primarily targets countries (including their Authorities) and regional organisations already – or likely to be – involved in RPBA/PDNA exercises due to their crisis- or disaster-prone nature. It would also ensure that relevant staff within EU Institutions, UN Agencies and the World Bank can take part with a view to further enhance capacity and refine methodologies/tools to be used for the benefit of third parties.
Capacity-building, missions and content revision/development, require that the expert performs tasks from their operational base in the EU and conduct in-country RPBA/PDNA missions for periods of approximately 20 person days – and with deployment at short notice (1 calendar week from submission of a request by the Contracting Authority).
- be the main contact point to the Contracting Authority for operational issues related to the field of PDNA, including the identifying, mobilising and liaising with non-key experts.
- S/he will liaise and report to the Contracting Authority on a regular basis on the activities and will facilitate a fruitful and open dialogue between the stakeholders involved and the EU.
- It is foreseen that an important part of her/his work will consist in PDNA missions.
Qualifications and skills:
- Master's degree or equivalent diploma in Development, Humanitarian Aid, International Relations, social sciences, or other relevant discipline, or, in its absence, a Bachelor's degree or equivalent diploma as detailed above followed by at least 3 years of post-graduate professional experience in the management of international teams of experts on top of the general professional experience required below.
General professional experience:
- A minimum 5 years - preferably 10 years – of professional (including field) experience in recovery/rehabilitation/reconstruction contexts in developing countries;
- Minimum 5 years proven experience in development and recovery programmes;
- Minimum 5 years proven experience in the management of international teams of experts.
Specific professional experience:
- Proven experience from at least 3 PDNA missions is essential;
- Proven experience in interacting with the UN and the World Bank in the field of recovery/rehabilitation/reconstruction gained on at least 2 projects;
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of disaster relief and recovery contexts, as well as proven knowledge of PDNA concepts and principles gained on at least 2 projects;
- Knowledge of European Union project management procedures and Financial Regulation, preferably through management and participation in at least 2 EC-funded technical assistance projects of similar size and/or contractual value would be an advantage.
Other required skills:
- S/he must possess excellent interpersonal consultation and mediation skills, team-oriented work style, whilst being self-motivated, able to work with minimum supervision, with an eye for detail/accuracy and strong resistance to stress.
- S/he must be able to dialogue with national Authorities and institutional structures (mainly regional/international organisations).
- S/he must possess excellent written and oral communication skills in English (similar skills in French would be an asset). S/he will facilitate and coordinate the PDNA aspects of the project.
The Key Experts will be based in Europe, probably in Brussels and conduct missions to the partner countries.
If interested to apply, please send your updated CV in EU-format (template ready for download below) in English language at your earliest convenience but at the latest till 18.06.2017 to Caroline Fischler (email@example.com). Please note that early applications will be appreciated and negotiations with candidates will be started as soon as identified. We ask for your understanding that only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
Mission start date:
presumably August 2017
Mission end date:
Project start date:
presumably August 2017
Project end date: