Join our team
GOPA's development cooperation specialists implement numerous projects worldwide, and we continually compete for new ones. This offers opportunities in a multitude of technical fields. Interested in one of the current job opportunities accessible from this page? Or would you like to apply for registration on our expert database? Please contact us!
For more information on job opportunities, click here.
Team leader / SPS and Aquatic Animal Health, Myanmar
Team leader / SPS and Aquatic Animal Health
Rural Development and Environment
Wednesday, June 6, 2018
Name of project:
Myanmar Sustainable Aquaculture Programme (MSAP)
The programme "Myanmar Sustainable Aquaculture Programme (MYSAP)", co-funded by EU and BMZ, started in December 2016 jointly implemented by the Myanmar Department of Fisheries (DoF) and the Deutsche Gesellschaft fuer Technische Zusammenarbeit (GIZ). Following the one year inception phase, MYSAP is currently in first year implementation phase. The programme aims to support the expansion of semi-intensive freshwater aquaculture for the domestic market and the promotion of coastal aquaculture in a sustainable, inclusive and climate-resilient manner. Sustainable development of coastal aquaculture will focus on the Ayeyarwady Region and on Rakhine State (current status of planning).
The overall objective of MYSAP is
- to contribute to poverty reduction and improved food security and nutrition in selected areas of Myanmar, with the specific objective (outcome)
- to contribute to sustainably intensified aquaculture (EU), respectively
- to strengthen the sustainably managed aquaculture sector (BMZ).
Task description of the team leader:
- Overall responsibility for the advisory package of the contractor
- Reporting to MYASP head of programme
- Advisory services to DoF, MYSAP and relevant private sector
- Coordinating all stages of the project with key stakeholders including other donors, and ensuring transparency for the partner
- Ensuring the coherence and complementarity of the services of the contractor with other services delivered by the programme at local and national level
- Strategy, implementation, monitoring and evaluation of capacity development measures for local partners in the following areas: support/improvement of Sanitary and Phytosanitary (SPS) measures including animal and public health (disease monitoring and control, biosecurity, anti-microbial resistance, water quality analysis), food safety (e. g. risk management, hygiene, residue monitoring, traceability etc.) for domestic consumption and export, with a focus on support of DoF but also future provision of services by the private sector.
- Consideration of cross-cutting themes (e.g. gender equality)
- Personnel management, in particular identifying the need for short-term assignments within the available budget, as well as planning and steering assignments and supporting local and international short-term experts
- Ensuring results monitoring is conducted
- Regular reporting in accordance with deadlines
- Responsibility for controlling the use of funds and financial planning in consultation with GIZ’s officer responsible for the commission
- Supporting the officer responsible for the commission in updating/adapting the project strategy, in evaluations and in preparing a follow-on phase
- Education/training: University qualification (German ‘Diplom’/Master) in Veterinary medicine or Biology/Chemistry with respective background in SPS and aquatic animal health and diseases, laboratory technology and analysis.
- Language: Excellent business language skills in English (written and spoken) is essential,
- General professional experience: 15 years of professional experience in the aquatic animal health and diseases sector in Europe and Asia
- Specific professional experience: 10 years in SPS,aquatic animal health and diseases, laboratory technology and managament, as well as EU regulations.
- Leadership/management experience: 6 years of management/leadership experience as project team leader or manager in a company
- Regional experience: 7 years of experience in projects in South-East Asia, preferably Myanmar.
- Development Cooperation (DC) experience: 5 years of experience in DC projects
- Other: Evidence of participation in Capacity WORKS training (can be completed at a later date), experience in financial management
Soft skills of team members
In addition to their specialist qualifications, the following qualifications are required of team members:
- Team skills
- Communication skills
- Sociocultural competence
- Efficient, partner and client-focused working methods
- Interdisciplinary thinking
The project duration is 3 years, from 12/2018 to 11/2021. The 24 months-contracts of the team leader and Expert 1 are to be conducted within the 3 year period of project implementation. To apply, please kindly send your CV at your earliest convenience in English language in the GIZ-format (CV template offered for download within this job postings) to Mrs Martina Lastrico. Please understand that only shortlisted candidates will be notified about the selection process.
Mission start date:
Mission end date:
Project start date:
Project end date: