GOPA project database
Since its founding in 1965, GOPA has successfully implemented over 3,500 projects in more than 130 countries. At present, over 140 are being carried out. This database provides a selection of projects best illustrating GOPA’s fields of activity.
BMZ Evaluation EZ-Scout Programme (EZSP)
Monitoring & Evaluation/Quality
Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ)
Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ)
Value of Services:
Start of project:
End of project:
The €18 million programme, funded by the Federal Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ), employs development consultants ("scouts in development cooperation = EZ-Scouts") in German business organisations, aiming at promoting and guiding private sector initiatives and investments in developing countries to foster synergies between the publicly funded development cooperation and private initiatives supporting development. The programme comprises all thematic priority areas of the German development cooperation, such as economic development, good governance and transparency, gender equality, climate change mitigation and adaptation, education and health. Basis for the evaluation were the internally accepted OECD/DAC evaluation criteria as well as the causal links of the programme’s Theory of Change model.
On the basis of the evaluation results, the Ministry aimed at taking an informed and evidence-based decision on whether or how to continue the programme. This included recommendations on how to
- promote instruments, tools and approaches of German’s technical cooperation in private sector organisations,;strengthen the cooperation with the private sector both in Germany and Germany’s partner countries; and
- increase the number of development initiatives by connecting foreign investments with sustainable development aid.
- Retrospective development of a Theory of Change model for the programme
- Development of an evaluation matrix
- Development of a robust randomized sampling strategy
- Development of survey tools (questionnaires, interview guidelines)
- Survey implementation
- Development of the inception and final report
- Revised Theory of Change Model
- Inception and final evaluation reports