GOPA project database
Since its founding in 1965, GOPA has successfully implemented over 3,500 projects in more than 130 countries. At present, over 140 are being carried out. This database provides a selection of projects best illustrating GOPA’s fields of activity.
Results-Oriented Monitoring Review of Implementation of Projects and Programmes Financed by the European Union within the Framework of its External Assistance - Lot 4: Latin American and Caribbean regions, including Cuba and OCTs
Monitoring & Evaluation/Quality
European Commission (EC)
European Commission (EC)
Value of Services:
Start of project:
End of project:
The project facilitates monitoring services of EU-funded projects selected by the European Commission (EC) through regular on-site visits to projects and programmes in the respective project countries (single country or multiple countries in case of a regional programme or project), assess key project documents and interview relevant stakeholders, including the beneficiaries. Based on empirical data, the monitors produce and deliver objective, impartial and concise monitoring reports, which are quality assured by a dedicated quality assurance team before being submitted to the EC.
ROM co-exists with other complementary monitoring mechanisms, such as the self-monitoring by the project management, internal monitoring by the EU Delegations and partner countries' own monitoring mechanisms.
The purpose of the ROM is to provide external and independent feedback on the performance and impact of EU-funded cooperation projects. The system is applied worldwide and covers the overall sectoral portfolio of EU support for other countries.
Every year, the project carries out approx. 135 single country missions, 20 multi-country missions, 100 end-of-project results report missions, and 5 budget support programme missions.
- Preparation of annual work plans for conducting the monitoring missions requested by the EC
- Organisation and implementation of ROM missions with a specific methodology in accordance with the type of mission (135 single country missions, 20 multi-country missions, 100 end-of-project results report missions, and 5 budget support programme missions annually)
- Briefing and debriefing of the EU project managers on the conclusions of the individual monitoring missions
- Storing and dissemination of quality-controlled monitoring reports in the EU's Common External Relations Information System (CRIS) to ensure rapid access to the reports by the EU Commission and EU delegations worldwide.
- Organisation and implementation of trainings and seminars for the monitors and the commission staff on monitoring, impact assessments, Project Cycle Management, Logical Framework approach, etc.
- Quality assurance of the monitoring reports and other deliverables prepared by the monitoring missions
- Organisation of work meetings and seminars to present the findings of the monitoring activity
- Preparation of a consolidated annual ROM analysis based on the missions carried out.
The compiled results of ROM provide inputs into the Accession monitoring Process. The ROM team prepares specific reviews and presents them to revision meetings attended by relevant EC officials.